Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Master Project - Brake compensator

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 15th July 2014 Thread Starter
Dai Sharkey
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Master Project - Brake compensator

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
I take it you are referring to the load compensator. If so it is to reduce the risk of the rear wheels locking up during braking and causing the vehicle to go out of control. It also helps to proprotion the brake pressure between th front and rear brakes increasing braking efficiency. If the vehicle had such a compensator when new then the MOT examiners should have known one should be fitted. If that is the case then it down to shoddy MOT testing.

Not all testing stations have the correct kit for such testing so many just ignore this aspect. Where I live the all testing station have a special hydraulic load application jack.

Such compensators were done away with on many vehicles when ABS was introduced.
Hey Madnoel10,
thanks for the detail. I took the vehicle to the same MOT station as the previous owner and when questioned about -' how come it hasn't been picked up before?' all he had to say is that 'the new guy done my MOT'

I've read many problems to do with the compensator and understand that when the arm is removed from the unit (or degraded over the years and fell off) that the system runs as if the van is light. Is that the case? If so the only use for it would seem to add pressure when loaded??
Currently in Dai Sharkey's garage:
1998 Renault Master 2.8
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome