Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - To buy a new car or not? Plus trading in with small problem.

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 15th July 2014
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: To buy a new car or not? Plus trading in with small problem.

Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
Not very different. A private buyer isn't liable for a fault he doesn't mention or isn't asked about, even if he knows about it. Sharp, maybe, but not liable in law. I'd ask more questions of a private buyer than of a dealer, not fewer, because a dealer can be liable for things he doesn't mention even if he doesn't know about them.

The point I was making was that the dealer buying the car would be expected to have a greater knowledge and expertise than a private individual.
Also if a private buyer was able to establish that there was an existing fault and the previous private owner was aware of the fact but failed to disclose such at the time of sale it can be construed as misrepresentation. For instance if someone bought a car and discovered a garage had diagnosed a problem and informed the previous owner of such he could then establish the seller did not disclose a relevant fact.
For instance I know somone who bought a car, discovered it was faulty and then looking through the paperwork discovered an invoice for a diagnostic report from a certain garage he was then able to go to that garage and gather relevant evidence.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome