Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Master Project - Brake compensator

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 15th July 2014 Thread Starter
Dai Sharkey
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Re: Renault Master Project - Brake compensator

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Apart from regulating pressure when loaded it will also reduce pressure if the front of the van dips during sudden braking - making the rear end light. If the rear wheels locked during heavy braking the driver may end up seeing the rear of the van flash past his eyes In other words the van may go into an uncontrollable spin - especially if he had to brake whilst turning or on when cornering. I appreciate you may not load your vehicle heavily so all the more reason to have the regulator. Contrary to popular belief the regulator doesn't affect the overall pressure in the braking system - it just distributes it more efficiently.

At the end of the day it doen't say much for MOT testing. Over here in Northern Ireland if anyone buys a car from the UK mainland with a valid MOT certifcate they immediately have it retested in Northern Ireland were the MOT rules are more strict and there are no advisories - either it passes or fails.
Hey, thanks for the insight. I appreciate you imparting your knowledge, I've learnt loads.

I agree, safety is number 1 especially as I travel alot with my whole family in my vehicles. I'm going to speak to the owner of the MOT place tomorrow.

I've also found out, courtesy of an online renault manual that Master 3's replaced the compensator with ABS and an ECU program called EBD - electronic braking distribution (I think it's called) where the brake bias is electronically controlled. Who would have thought that this morning I'd never heard of a load compensator.

Thanks again.
Currently in Dai Sharkey's garage:
1998 Renault Master 2.8
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome