Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Tow-bar security

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st July 2014 Thread Starter
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Tow-bar security

A mate of mine came round today complaining he had a heavy rattling noise coming form the rear end of his Vectra. Strange thing he said - it's only there when towing a trailer or his caravan. Sure enough when we went for a drive with the tralier connected there was a heavy clunk at times from the rear of the car when it braked, accelerated. We examined the trailer and could find nothing untoward. But when looking at the tow-bar bolts to the rear of the car all retaining bolts were loose and the wiring was a mess to say the least. Worst of all he was prepared to tour the Scots highlands for 10 days towing his caravan in the next day or two. He had fitted the second hand tow-bar himself.

Fitting a tow-bar is in fact some way modifying the structural integrity and safety of the car.

Under current law and insurance terms anyone one can fit a tow-bar to their car be they competent or not. I ask the question. When a tow-bar is fitted to a car should there be a law or guidelines that it be inspected by a competent person before use and a certificate issued to say it has been passed to a specific standard. Every time now I see a car or van trundling down the road towing a trailer or caravan I really do start to wonder if it is in fact safe.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
  5 Lastest Threads by madnoel10
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Changed my Motta Cars & motoring A55ii 5 118 1st October 2016 04:51 PM
Ford Focus C-max Cars & motoring batfink5 2 67 21st September 2016 02:32 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome