Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Computer: mpg display

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by kabsatis View Post
I have had (5) Renaults with a trip computer over the last 16+ years and none of them have been able to display the current mpg. They have only shown the average mpg since last reset - despite the fact that all the handbooks include the current/instantaneous mpg in the cycle of readouts. Have I missed a trick or is it never included in UK models (despite the handbook being written in English)?
For some reason, we lose the instantaneous fuel economy when the dash is programmed for imperial rather than metric measurements. Apparently when the Laguna dash 'fries' its memory and reverts to Km, the instantaneous economy figure comes back (though as l/100Km, which works the opposite way round to MPG and so confuses the hell out of me.) I suppose they could argue it's there in the English translation for English speaking countries that run on the Metric system - e.g. Ireland.
Incidentally, the trip computer in the current Clio is a great improvement - being able to toggle both forwards and backwards to get to the readout required and also showing the last readout on startup rather than always displaying the first (total mileage) and thus requiring the driver to step through until the preferred readout (e.g Range) is displayed. Still no current mpg though!
Keeping the last display is something I've been missing since I got rid of my 1995 Laguna I. At this time, the RXE and above had a separate display for the mileage, and so the trip computer powered up in whatever state you left it in. Then when I got my 98 L1 Phase 2, they'd integrated the mileage into the trip display, and it always powered on in mileage mode.

Then along came the L2, and we lost the split trip feature, which I really liked about the L1's computer. You may not have had instantaneous MPG, but you could always reset trip 2 while keeping all of the statistics for your journey in trip 1. The L2's dash does give you two separate resettable mileage counters, but only one of them has the fuel functions associated with it.

On my current Laguna, it doesn't even tell me how many miles I have left to the next oil change. It's like the range function: The damned thing turns to dashes just when you need it the most.

So much for progress eh?
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome