Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna Mk1 Phase 2 - Front brake caliper carrier/holder; repair or replace?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th August 2014 Thread Starter
Banned User
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Laguna Mk1 Phase 2 - Front brake caliper carrier/holder; repair or replace?

Hi everyone

Have a problem with front pads sticking on our Lag. Drives fine, stops in a straight line, but sometimes there's a low squealing sound when *not* braking that is solved by applying the brakes briefly to move the pads back into a more helpful position.

Looks like the calipers and their pistons are in fine fettle, as are the caliper guide pins.

When I put the new pads and discs on about 400miles/4 weeks ago, I did a cleanup of the entire brake assembly and found that even after that (and some rubber-friendly pad-lube in key places), the new pads needed some er... "persuasion" to sit properly in the holder. My guess is that years of rust and gathering detritus have changed the shape of the elements facing the pads, not allowing them to slide freely, thus leaving the pads occasionally dragging on the disc even after the piston's backed off.

So I'm thinking one of two things...
  1. Is there anywhere I can buy replacement new caliper holders, and at a reasonable price? Eurocarparts doesn't seem to have them, despite selling nearly everything else that might be related.
  2. Can I carefully scour or sand the holders back to their original shape, assuming I take suitable precautions like wearing a mask/googles so I don't breathe in the dust?

If I go with the latter, I'd likely want to paint them to prevent further corrosion - Note that this is only for protection, and definitely not for show! Am I right in thinking I should avoid painting any area that is in contact with the pad brackets so that there's no chance of blocking proper movement, or is caliper paint solid enough to not break up, especially when properly lubed?

I'm sure I can't be the only one who ever thought about this!
Currently in abstractnoise's garage:
1998 Laguna RT 1.6 16V
  5 Lastest Threads by abstractnoise
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Mk1 Phase 2 Laguna - Locating bonnet hinges... Bodywork batfink5 1 267 5th February 2016 03:14 PM
Laguna Mk1 Phase 2 1.6RT Secondary Cat Rattle Exhausts johnboyw 3 601 19th December 2014 02:13 PM
Laguna Mk1 Phase 2 - Front brake caliper... Brakes/Hubs abstractnoise 4 1151 4th August 2014 09:52 AM
Laguna I Phase II, ECU Replacement (RT 1.6 16V... Electronics abstractnoise 3 1735 23rd October 2013 07:36 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome