Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio RXE 1998 - Alarm & central locking

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 6th May 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Zeldazog.

Your posts sound *exactly* like the problem that my wife is having on her (wait for it) 1998 Clio 1.6 RXE!

We bought the car about two months ago, and whilst everything else seems fine we noticed that the remote central locking (we have two IR keys) can be occasionally temperamental. We need to hold the remote keys and `blip` them whilst next to the driver or passenger front windows - so they are not very `remote`!

I originally thought it was a battery problem, so I swapped the old batteries for new, and we still have the same problem.

Then I read about the mobile phone-camera trick to test if the remotes are sending an IR signal (both are). However, on the inside of one of the remotes, a small plastic lug which holds the batteries in place has snapped, so the contact is not very good, and you need to hold down the button on the remote with superhuman strength to make the contact and send the signal.

If the weather is better tomorrow, I think I'll have a look at seeing whether the receiver in the roof mounted panel (just forward of the sunroof) has got a bit damp....

Let us know how you get on with your investigations.

Currently in cap3116's garage:
1999 Renault Clio 1.6RXE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome