Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What I hate about driving...

View Single Post
post #63 of (permalink) Old 22nd December 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by LA9UNA
One of my big pet hates at the present which hasn't been mentioned is:
Why does nobody bother stopping to let pedestrians cross anymore ?
We are all pedestrians and probably all use these crossings, has anyone else noticed this tendancy ?
Isn't it against the law to not stop at one of these if the pedestrian has a foot on the crossing ?
I think this is actually one area where we drive more courteously than some other nations. Yes, I've seen people blatantly ignore zebra crossings, but try using one in Sweden (yes, the ultra safety-conscious home of Saab and Volvo) and it seems that the drivers are happy to put their foot down and steer towards you.

On the subject of crossings - another pet hate of mine is these damned Puffin crossings. For the uninitiated, they look like a Pelican crossing, but have no flashing amber ('go if the crossing is clear') phase and operate through the normal sequence that you'd expect from road junction traffic lights. They supposedly have radar sensors for both pedestrian and motor traffic, but they still stay stuck on red well after the crossing is clear of pedestrians. Apparently the plan is to gradually replace all existing Pelican crossings with Puffin ones. Now that's what I call progress
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome