Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vel Satis Problems

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 8th May 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
I'm going to defend these cars - god help me!

Hi there, I can understand why you would form an adverse opinion about these types of cars - however.

I was a French car phobe myself until around a year ago, when due to changing family circumstances, I needed a larger car to replace my beloved Ka Luxury.

After looking around, I found a 4 year old car, with 20,000miles on the clock, fully warranted mileage, and full service history being sold by a non-renault dealer for 10,000. I bartered hard and got a year's warranty plus a service and cambelt change included, plus a great trade-in price for my car.

Touch wood, it has been fine - loads of space, great comfort, good & smooth power delivery all at fuel economy never below 35mpg.

Like all cars, there can be good ones and bad ones out there - its important to check them over thoroughly before purchase.

The cars are still in production (mainland Europe only), so parts aren't an issue (except for price), but the biggest problem is that dealers are completely unfamiliar with a very rare car - so make sure that you have a Renault dealer nearby who has at least serviced one of these cars (only around 1400 were ever imported). You don't want to be paying for trial & error.

Don't expect to run one on a shoestring, they were between 20-32 grand when new - but choose wisely, look after it, keep it under warranty, and you should have a car which is often admired, but never repeated.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome