Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Grande Scenic - Stage 3 car seats don't fit

View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 9th May 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

As stated earlier in the thread we use a standard Britax Booster (not a high back) in the middle seat no problem. We also use this in the back seats and it seems to fit. As mentioned by other posters the manual does advise one of Renaults own seats in the back row. We previously had a Toyota Corolla Verso and the manual had similar disclaimers about using a standard booster not made by Toyota in the back row.

The back row seats are only really suitable for a child. We looked at all compact 7 seater MPVs and have found this to be the case for all of them. None of them have full sized seats at the back. I suspect that due to the new legislation car manufacturers are now covering their backs by making disclaimers about using car seats in these seats. Fortunately, we own use the back row occassionally. If you have more than three kids I suspect you really need a full size gas guzzling MPV as these have adult sized seats throughout.

We infact did not want an MPV at all, a family hatch back would have been fine, but with the new legislation 3 kids in the back seat of anything but an MPV is a no no. Very strange when the government wants us all to drive smaller cars which I am all for.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by ashillito View Post
This is my first post on this forum as I found the forum through searching on 'booster seats for grand scenic' as a new 07 grand scenic owner i'm looking for a 'narrow' booster seat to fit into the middle rear seat (the one with the belt buckles fitted into the seat)

I was most concerned to read this thread and contacted my Renault Dealer who was confused by the info he had from Renault as to which car seats are recommended for the car.

Apparently Renault no longer sell / supply the seat that is mentioned in the guide book for use in the flip up boot seats, and they now advise against using the very rear 2 seats for any child seat whatsoever ! Bang goes my 7 seater !

They told me the KidPLus seat fits properly into the middle centre narrow seat, so i've orderd on and we'll see. They also said it fits properly in all 3 rear seats.

As for the stage 3 booster seats not allowing the seatbelt to recoil, I don't have this problem as such. The booster seat can touch / foul the seatbelt mounting point on the door pillar if it's set really high, but the belt still recoils ok when my 5 year old moves about in it. Granted the mounting of the belt is too far forward on the car so it has to come back on itself to go through the guides in the headrest of the seat, but it appears to work ok. Is this the problem mentioned at the start of this post, or is it something else ? I can see that moving the seat forwads will make things better, but as the seatbelt recoils ok, do I need to ?

Thanks and please post findings / reports, any reccomendation for a 'narrow' stage 3 booster seat that fits the middle seat properly greatly appreciated.

Currently in apsande's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome