Join Date: Aug 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!
I don't normally join forums, but after getting my clio and solving most of the problems myself I thought I'd share my findings of starting problems...
Like the original poster said; the engine would start put not catch... and die out after about 2-3 seconds maybe less.
I found out in the end that the immobiliser wasn't synchronized properly which I presume is down to me disconnecting the battery and charging and re-connecting the night before.
I tried a few different things but the one that worked for me is as follows:
1. Put key in and put it into position two. (Position one is first turn, two is second(.
2. Disconnect the battery WHILST the car is in position two.
3. Leave it disconnected for 3 minutes or more (MUST be 3 or more.)
4. Re-connect battery and take key out.
5. Get OUT of the car and lock the door, then unlock and open the door and get in (so it knows that you've opened the door after unlocking it).
6. Put the key in and start her up!!!
This is what got the car working for me again, after MUCH trial and error. This is by far the SIMPLEST problem I've had with my Clio and I'm used to hard complicated fixes with it, so it was a delight to see it was so simple.
Currently in aarongregory's garage:
Renault Clio 2002 1.2V