Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is filling up the fuel tank all the way to the top wasteful?

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11th May 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Renault recommend that you refuel ASAP after the low fuel warning light comes on. I think that's also their half-baked excuse for losing the range on the trip computer once the warning light comes on.

Keeping 1/4 of a tank might well be a good idea in an older car with a steel fuel tank. If the tank has rusted on the inside, then flakes of rust may well have collected in the bottom. Drain the tank too low, and you'll drag the rust fragments into the fuel line.

But most modern cars have plastic tanks, so that should no longer be an issue. If you run them completely dry, then a little bit of sediment might just find its way into the filter and, if you're really unlucky, block it. I've run most of my petrol cars dry at one point, and only one of them ever complained (one of my Lag 1's.) It ran like a sack of spuds for the rest of the day, but sorted itself out after a while.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome