Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Closing Cabrio Roof,Excellent Info

View Single Post
post #38 of (permalink) Old 17th August 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Megane 1 - Closing Cabrio Roof,Excellent Info

Originally Posted by tug3 View Post
I just bought a '98 Megane Cabrio that was sold with defect electric roof. Manual operation only. And with couple of other "minor" mechanical issues and ONLY with studded winter tires! Which are naturally illegal to drive in the summer... I just could't pass the deal.

The symptoms were that the top would only lift the rear flap up, and stop there. The lid pull/push motor would run and the hydraulic pump would run. But that's as far as it would go, and just beep five times.

Well, having toyed with cars for over 25 years, I naturally wouldn't take that by face value. I read this thread and looked at the ragtop-lid release mechanism. You only just have to pull the carpet away. You don't have to bolt the mechanism out. Anyways, here's in short what I did:

1) Run the top to all the way down position.
2) Open the ragtop handle and lift the top a little.
3) Open the hydraulic release valve in the trunk. (Left hand side wall behind the tire well. Turn the screw all the way counter clockwise.)
4) Pull the emergency release strap at the far end (middle) of the trunk.
5) Lift ragtop (front) all the way to normal position (when opening the top).
6) Lift the rear (flap that has the window) of the top all the way up (by hand).
7) Lift the ragtop lid all the way up (by hand) and prop it there.
8) Remove the carpet on the lid lock/unlock motor on the bulkhead.
9) Look at it from the rear while pulling the emergency strap. You should see what kind of mechanism it operated. You can move this mechanism up and down by hand.
10) See how the locking mechanism moves a lever sideways when you push/pull it up&down.
11) Align the (bottom) end of this sideways lever to the peg on the motor screw (towards the rear of the car). That peg moves down when you pull the emergency strap. All you have to do is get the lock mechanism lever to fall onto the peg.
12) Thats it! - Put back the carpet, let the ragtop lid close.
13) Close up the hydraulic pressure release valve (all the way clockwise) and put back the carpet.
14) Run the top open from the dashboard switch as normal.

For me that did the trick. I now have a fully functional roof again!
It took me 30 minutes to figure everything out. Now I can fix the top in 5. It's really that simple!

And a big thanks to myredsportscar as it was his post that really helped me to understand the "problem".
Liking this post slightly but....
1. Run the top to all the way down position?....down as in closed or down as in roof open?
2. Open the ragtop handle?....and lift?? (not sure what 1 means now??)
5. What is normal position?

Someone really needs to do a sticky on these roofs as the information is bloody terrible for them...ive been in the trade 22 years & i aint found one post yet that explains howto reset/fix the megane 1 convertible roof.
Currently in scots1_2000's garage:
2002 Renault Trafic 1.9dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome