Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - hello im new.... Is the laguna 2 a reliable car?

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 15th May 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Prem View Post
No tut tut please.
I think that was in response to my comments about Alfas and Fiats. Lag loves Alfas and has a Fiat as a restoration project (if he happens to get the welding sorted before it actually splits in two.)
My previous car was a Mitsubishi Galant. I had it for just over 5 years. Apart from the annual service, I never had to see my dealer, never had to repair anything, no rattles, didn't even need to change a light bulb.

Fill in petrol, tax the car and drive it.

Show me a Renault, any Renault that can top that.
Show me any European car that can top that (though I can give one example - see below.) The Japanese are in a different league when it comes to reliability and build quality. We all know and accept that, so why not bin the whole European car industry in one go?
My current car, an Espace IV is barely 1 year old, done only 5000 miles - has not started and left me stranded twice, has had more warning lights than my Xmas tree and I'm almost on first name terms with my local Renault dealer!!!
Our previous Clio II ran for four trouble-free years until it developed a running fault that was probably Top Dead Centre. That's a cheap DIY fix, though we bunged it to the dealer because we had the extended warranty, at which point we saw the car's replacement and did the swap.

My first Laguna I was the most reliable car I've ever had. It broke down twice in 120K miles: Once when a large piece of motorway debris hit the water pump, causing coolant loss and ultimately overheating. And again, with the same problem about a week later when the dealer didn't fix it properly. Apart from that, it dumped the exhaust back box onto the motorway once, but I was able to continue my journey after tying the box onto the bumper. The car did have a problem with battery drain if left standing for more than a week, but that may have been down to some of the bits that I wired into it myself.

Admittedly the two cars that followed were far less impressive - the 2.0 IDE was a bona-fide dog in my book. But apart from a few niggles, the current one's still holding its own with just under 50K on the clock.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome