Independent Renault Forums banner

Common problem - breaks squealing

18K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  JWilks 
#1 ·
Do any of you have problems with your breaks squealing?

I checked all the pads and they have plenty left on. I have even jet washed them down to get rid of any dust, but has not worked.

I called my local Renault dealer and they guy on the phone said it’s a common problem on a few Renault types.

He says the build up of dust causes the squeal and the only option at the moment is to take them off clean and grease up certain bits and that’s it. He also said that after more dust build up it would come back.
I asked him if Renault does this for free, but as you can guess the customer has to pay for it.

I wanted to know (before I complain to Customer Service) if you have had the same issue???

I don’t see why I should have to pay for something, which is bad build/design and after a period of time have to pay again.

Hank

#2 ·
It certaintly is a common problem,although Renault aren't the only ones who suffer from it....

The problem has definately got worse since asbestos was banned from the pad material,and although cleaning the pad face and greasing the back of it can help,sometimes there is basically nothing that can be done(except spending a large amount of money on some exotic pad material)

We recently had exactly the same problem on a Peugeot 406 coupe.We fitted 3 different sets of discs and 4 different sets of pads(both genuine,aftermarket and from the caliper manufacturer,Brembo),and the brakes still squeaked.We tried grease on the backs of the pads,some special glue to stick the pads to the caliper and also special rubber backing pieces,but nothing worked.:eek:

#4 ·
I believe Renault are working on a solution available 2007, My Scenic II had what I would call excessive brake squeal from new, Dealer attempted various remedys, It is now at a greatly reduced level but still I feel unacceptable. I did not pay for any work done to resolve this problem, Contact Renault Customer Services through the Renault U.K website.

Regards

Ottoman

#6 ·
Normally with Renaults OEM pads are the worst [too soft], it can be cured by using enough copper slip on the back of the pads not forgetting the heels and the contact points on the caliper and if all that fails fit some EBC green or black stuff pads as they are harder and create less BD [Brake Dust]

#7 ·
Copper slip is no longer an acceptable substance to put on the back of brake pads....

You must use grease that is specially designed to do the job.......If copper grease is brought in to contact with the friction face of the pad,then it can cause vibrations and poor braking effort.If the proper product is used,then this burns off of the pad face and ceases to be a problem.I had used copper slip for years before I was told this(by a person involved with the manufacture of pads,not a BS merchant) and I think you'll find that most brake companies will void any warranty you might have if there is any evidence of copper slip being used.

I would definately agree with using performance pads to eliminate brake squeal though,but the trouble is with some of them is that they don't reach their optimum performance until they are very hot,something that they won't do in normal driving circumstances.It's more to do with the actual ingredients used in the pad friction material rather than the dust created.

Pads containing asbestos used to squeal at times,and a dose of grease on the backs of them used to sort it out as the squeal was caused by the reaction between the pads and the caliper/piston.Now asbestos is banned,the squeal is caused by a reaction between the pad and the disc,which is much more difficult to remedy.Sometimes chaffering the leading edges of the pads helps,but other times it is just the make up of the pad itself.

#9 ·
Copper slip is no longer an acceptable substance to put on the back of brake pads....

You must use grease that is specially designed to do the job.
Copper slip/ copper grease I still call it slip, I know I should of called it grease but sometimes old habits die hard.

As for the pads EBC black stuff are in principle the same as OEM but better and don’t require bring up to temp for them to work correctly.

#8 ·
Not had a problem with squealing brakes myself, but my Mum's Megane II suffered terribly!

I changed the front pads with some Lucas pads, bought from a local motor factors (quite a bit cheaper than Renault too!! ) and the squealing has vanished!!
She also commented on the brakes grabbing even when applied gently, which has now stopped too :cool:

So, a simple pad change could be the answer ;)

#11 ·
"Black stuff brake pads are a high friction premium quality friction material and are an exact equivalent to OE pads fitted to your vehicle from the factory. When you buy black stuff replacement pads you are getting an exact equivalent to an original equipment pad for far less money. These pads will stop your vehicle as fast as any original equipment pad and faster than most aftermarket pads. One brilliant feature of black stuff pads is their ability to completely eliminate brake judder and these pads will actually COMPENSATE for mild brake judder after 300-400 miles of use.

Green stuff are designed for premium street driving offering better brake effect at loads and speed. Green stuff has a high initial brake effect and gives drivers confidence from first application of the brake pedal [but they do need to get up to temp]. There is no such thing as a NO DUST pad. The very nature of how a brake works requires that some dust be generated to avoid rotor vibration (shimmying). The EBC pad creates less dust and dust is more easily washed off than most.

Green stuff is the name coined to describe our current sport automotive pad. A high friction Aramid based organic pad with very low metallic content that comes on strong from first application of the brake pedal, without disc damage and minimal brake dust. Recommended for road use and hill climb only."

#17 ·
I had the problem after my brake pads were changed. The garage I used tried 3 sets of pads with no change, then used a more expensive pad and a year later no squeals.
Better still did it all under warranty so I only had to pay for th first change although it was not a renault dealer which I do not like usin, you'd think they would know these little problems.

#18 ·
I had the same problem. I had the front discs,calipers and pads changed (a Renault fix) and only paid for the pads as car nearly 3 years old. Now the rears have started and spoke with garage yesterday, no Renault fix yet, due end of June 2007, suggested fix would be free except the pads again. We'll see.

#21 ·
Hi ya kidneydog,
the brakes are a known problem, both front and rear, try telling the garage that you know this and that you know there is a known 'Renault fix' for the fronts and a fix for the rears expected in the first instance May 2007, if no luck go to Renault Customer Services. You may need to pay for a % of the brake pads according to age of vehicle. I think Renault quoted me 20% for less than 12 months old, 20-50% 12-24 months and 100% 24-36 months.

Good luck.

#24 ·
Brake squeal

Do any of you have problems with your breaks squealing?

I checked all the pads and they have plenty left on. I have even jet washed them down to get rid of any dust, but has not worked.

I called my local Renault dealer and they guy on the phone said it’s a common problem on a few Renault types.

He says the build up of dust causes the squeal and the only option at the moment is to take them off clean and grease up certain bits and that’s it. He also said that after more dust build up it would come back.
I asked him if Renault does this for free, but as you can guess the customer has to pay for it.

I wanted to know (before I complain to Customer Service) if you have had the same issue???

I don’t see why I should have to pay for something, which is bad build/design and after a period of time have to pay again.

It's a common problem with various modern cars,apparently something to do with the harder brake disc materials used.
I took my front pads off,and put plenty of copper non squeal grease on the backs of the pads,where the pistons operate,and they have been OK since.
If you jet wash the pads,you can remove some of the original copper grease,which makes it worse!

#25 ·
yeah i have the same problem with the sqeeky brakes. Im just going to strip them down and clean them and see if that gets rid of it. Its happened since i bought my car which was a couple of weeks ago however the dealer is slightly too far away to just jump in and go complain. Let me know if any one finds a solution.

#26 ·
I thought I was the only one!

Such a bad squeal from the brakes, made worse after installing brand new ferroco pads + discs (highest grade I could buy at trade counter)

I've previously tried copper slick but someone also suggested bleeding my brakes?

Undertaking the work myself due to lack of funds, will update if I find anything, but good to know I'm not the only one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.