Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How To Release Bonnet With Snapped Cable On Laguna 1

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 15th May 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
what fun

Just spent a fun couple of hours under the dash of my laguna which was in need of a nice drink of oil but decided it didn't want to open up!! So i tried the following

The first thing i tried was getting the missus to push hard up & down on the renault logo whilst pulling the release. Aparently this does sometimes work but not for me.

Next step (and i reckon i can do this in 10 mins now i know how) was to open the valance cover that covers the fuse box (under the steering wheel) and to pop out the inner compartment. Basically the unit that has the cover connected will pop out if you release the 3 lower screws (may be pins on some not sure). Next step is to undo the 10mm bolt that fixes the release mechanism to the bulkhead (you will need a socket + ext arm for this or one of them screwdrivers that can hold a socket) this is through the farthest left hole in the opening created by removing the cover (dont try and take the mechanism apart). The mechanism can then be pushed up off its mounting. This allows you to access the mechanism but also gives you room to pull the cable straight. Once you have the mechanism out pull it as far as it will go away from the dash and then pull the release the mechanism as if you were opening the bonnet normally. You will hopefully find that the extra tension makes the difference. it did for me.

If it works clean and regrease the release catches on the bonnet

This obviously wont work if the cables snapped but it may still help you get the old cable out from behind the dash.

this is what you'll look like laying under the dash
Currently in ggsumo's garage:
2004 Scenic II 1.6 VVT & 1998 Renault Laguna 1.8 RT
The Following User Says Thank You to ggsumo For This Useful Post:
Laguna RTi (30th August 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome