Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna Mk1 Phase 2 - Front brake caliper carrier/holder; repair or replace?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 28th August 2014 Thread Starter
Banned User
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Laguna Mk1 Phase 2 - Front brake caliper carrier/holder; repair or replace?

Reporting back as promised.

I supported the calipers with cableties and removed the holders for cleaning. The cleaning was easy enough; I used a handheld rotary tool (like a Dremel) with an orange grinding head to literally grind the crud and corrosion off the surfaces of the holder.

With some care, I was able to grind off enough material to have the pads sit and run smoothly inside their guides, but without removing *so* much material that the pads rattle. Bolted the whole lot back together after a final cleanup with brake cleaner and a cloth, and lubing the guides - all of a couple hours' work.

c.1K miles later, and I'm glad I did the job. Benefits so far:
  • Better braking - still some slight fade, but no more than "as-new" tested values gleaned from various reviews of the time.
  • No more squeal!
  • Much cooler front wheels after a motorway run
  • Pads finally run-in on both sides, and both sides of the left and right discs are now being fully utilised by the pads
  • Improved fuel economy on runs; c.45mpg for A-road/Motorway driving (Sticking to speed limits).

Advice: Wear suitable PPE. Don't do this kind of grinding work indoors if you don't have too. Not only do you get through LOTS of face-masks, but it makes a horrible mess to clean up after the fact, and not just in the room you work in with the door shut (And windows open).
Currently in abstractnoise's garage:
1998 Laguna RT 1.6 16V
The Following User Says Thank You to abstractnoise For This Useful Post:
johnboyw (28th August 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome