Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #673 of (permalink) Old 15th May 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Philip you are spot on the worst thing I have heard from VOSA is 'Investigation of alleged safety defects rests with the manufacturer. They, unlike VSB (VOSA), have detailed product knowledge, testing facilities and experts' (are these people actually having a laugh!!!)

Part of my response back to them is "I am astonished and concerned that the responsibility for investigating alleged safety defects rests with the manufacturer. The discovery of a safety defect may have a major financial impact on a manufacturer. The manufacturer is not an impartial, independent body. This practice by VOSA is not consistent with other safety bodies."

To update anyone who is interested spoke with my MP's office today they are in the process of writting to the Transport Minister as they are as disgusted with this response as I am. I also have MEP's Catherine Stihler and John Purvis looking into the case. Mr Purvis has passed the information on to Malcolm Harbour MEP, the Conservative spokesman for the Internal Market and Consumer Protection
in the European Parliament.

In his response he also stated Mr Harbour is aware of this recurring problem with the bonnet clips of Renault Clio cars, and he is currently looking into the issue. He has written to Renault, who have not yet provided a satisfactory response.
One of Renault's press officers has actually left the company as he feels they should be taking responsibility for this problem. Renault, however, are continuing to deny all responsibility.

Mr Harbour has also written to both the European Commission and the Vehicle Standards Organisation in the UK about this matter. I shall contact you again as soon as he receives their responses.

So I will keep you filled in when I hear back from the political people!
Currently in Meesh's garage:
2003 Renault Clio Billabong
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome