Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How To Replace The Engine Oil And Filter

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
How To Replace The Engine Oil And Filter

Espace Oil and Filter Change

This is a pictorial record of my 2.0 16v Petrol Renault Grande Espace oil change.
You follow this at your own risk, if it all goes horribly wrong for you it is your problem.

First make sure you have all the tools needed to do the job.
The front of the car will need to be raised to give you access to the sump oil drain plug.
The easiest way is on a hydraulic ramp, but it is unlikely you will have one of those.
A pair of ramps you can drive the front wheels onto is also an option.
Without either of these luxuries you're back to using a jack and axle stands.
Do NOT under any circumstances venture under a vehicle without proper axle stands, jacks break and you really don't want 2 tonnes of car on your head.
A trolley jack is quickest, I use a bottle jack, but theres no reason you couldn't use the car's spare wheel jack to raise it to a point you can put the axle stands in.

The Espace uses an 8mm square drive for the sump plug, I got one off Ebay for £4 + £2 p+p.
Gloves, oil is horrid stuff to get on your skin so use gloves. Marrigolds or if you have a Latex allergy like me Nitrile.

Oil filter remover. There are three main types, the chain or fabric band that wrap around the filter, the claw type or a hammer and chisel.
The former are difficult to use and I have found prone to slipping, losing knuckle skin is painful.
The claw type I recommend, cost around £15 but well worth it if only to save frustration.
Hammer and chisel are not recomended because they make a mess and leave lots of sharp edges to cut yourself on.

Oil catcher, some kind of pan to catch the oil , make sure it holds at least 5L or it'll go all over the floor.
Measuring jug and funnel, you'll need to see how much oil you put in, with a funnel less goes over your shoes.
Newspaper, to catch the drips, and a rag or two to wipe things down.

Then go to your local motor parts store and purchase
* Oil
* Oil filter
* Sump plug washer

I went to Halfords but your Renault dealer or another should be able to help.
Halfords lookup charts told me to get HOF266 ( oil filter) £7.29, 15W40 Semi Synthetic oil 5L £15.99 and a Renault sump plug washer £0.99.

So to work.....
Currently in Dexter's garage:
Honda Deauville, Ford Focus 2.0

Last edited by Dexter; 16th May 2007 at 12:09 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Dexter
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Espace - Vibration And Now No Drive Wheels & tyres chris m 9 2160 1st August 2007 12:16 PM
How To Replace The Engine Oil And Filter Miscellaneous Dexter 1 2899 16th May 2007 12:07 PM
1999 Grande Espace 2.0 Sideskirts Bodywork Dexter 6 2012 15th December 2005 09:16 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome