Independent Renault Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

241K views 427 replies 77 participants last post by  hu88ertvelsat 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought i'd start this new thread as there were quite a few Vel Satis owners chating on the "Vel Satis Problems" thread, but its title seems a bit negative.

Perhaps if all problems, questions or general chat relating to the Vel were posted here, then it would give us all a focal point of info which is specific to our model (as to be fair, most problems experienced, seem to be bespoke to the Vel.)

Perhaps this thread may become a valuble resource.

Anyway, after all the hick-ups with mine, I can now say that even after all repairs and including the purchase of the car, I still only spent £6000 ;) on this top of the line, and totally individual motor, so i'm well happy!

Even today when I was trying to get filters, people were still saying... "A renault What??"

Love it.

#31 ·
I have a few Vel Satis questions!

First off, a big thumbs up to the guys behind this forum and more importantly to those who keep it alive.

Hopefully, I will be able to contribute something worthwhile over the coming months, as at the moment I have only had my VS for a few weeks.

Being a Lithuania based Expat who is the new owner of a French registered 2002 2.0T Expression, I am having a bit of trouble getting to grips with the owners handbook in FRENCH. Although, I can work out most things either by looking at the pictures or by trail and error there are still a few nagging issues…

1. Cruise Control – When the cruise control is switched on, I am unable to register and set a speed. I ‘read’ that you need to be doing more than 30kmph, are there any other restrictions to do with the gears i.e. only works in 5th or 6th? I have yet to take it on a motorway, so an unable to get out of 4th! The steering wheel controls work perfectly well when the Speed Limiter is selected instead of the Cruise Control.

2. I noticed 2 red lights in the front courtesy light cluster. Any idea what these are for?

3. Is there a factory fitted alarm system as standard?

4. Has anyone had a warning message that the ‘Automatic parking brake is faulty’? This is on continuously, but to my knowledge all is working fine. i.e. the parking brake comes on when the engine is turned off.

Any answers would be gratefully appreciated.

#32 ·
Hi there Badgio, and welcome.
1. Cruise Control – When the cruise control is switched on, I am unable to register and set a speed. I ‘read’ that you need to be doing more than 30kmph, are there any other restrictions to do with the gears i.e. only works in 5th or 6th? I have yet to take it on a motorway, so an unable to get out of 4th! The steering wheel controls work perfectly well when the Speed Limiter is selected instead of the Cruise Control. my car's an automatic - can't answer that one - sorry.

2. I noticed 2 red lights in the front courtesy light cluster. Any idea what these are for? they provide 'soft' lighting whilst driving at night and partially illuminate the cabin.

3. Is there a factory fitted alarm system as standard? yes

4. Has anyone had a warning message that the ‘Automatic parking brake is faulty’? This is on continuously, but to my knowledge all is working fine. i.e. the parking brake comes on when the engine is turned off. no, does the handbrake release by itself when moving off?

Any answers would be gratefully appreciated.
Hope I've been able to help a bit.

Paul:)

#33 ·
Many thanks Paul for the quick response.

Further to my question about cruise control, I actually did manage to try to engage it in 5th and 6th this morning, but still no joy! So I think there is a fault with this system.

And...Yes, the handbrake does release itself when moving off. So again, I guess the warning system is faulty.

Finally, do you know where I can find out more details about the alarm, i.e CAT 1, CAT 2 etc. as I will need this to give to the insurers.

Many thanks,

#34 ·
Badgio

Hello there and welcome.

I have only had mine for 6 weeks and I too had that problem with the cruise control not acepting the speed. It does work fine now and I dont really know what I did but I just kept fiddling around with the sequence in which I turned everything on and it just started working, weird.

Mine too said the handbrake was faulty but this was because the battery had been flat for some time when I bought it. Once they put on a new battery it was fine.

I think flat or faulty batteries are generally not good on these cars as they are so reliant on power even when the car is not in use. The flat battery also caused all sorts of mayhem with the satnav. If I go on holiday im gonna have to leave the key with someone who can start it up every couple of days I think!!!

Good luck with it all anyway.

#35 ·
Hi mate, I've checked my brochure (I bought one off ebay before buying the car). It has a CAT1 alarm (all models).

Regarding the cruise control - it has a 2 button system for activating - 1st button is on the central console and is a rocker type switch (it gets pushed forwards) it also doubles as the speed limiter.

The second button is on the steering wheel itself (+ & -) symbols are used to make fine adjustments.

Hope this helps.

#39 ·
Good idea, but it might be better if it were combined with the avantime faction - maybe called the 'quirky execs'? That way Hugh won't feel left out!:rolleyes: (said in jest)

Paul:d

#42 ·
Eternal Opt.

Dont worry not, car was booked in yesterday to have a diagnosis:confused:

They phoned me at lunchtime, said it was indeed the master cylinder that needed replacing, that they had one in stock and could have it fitted by the end of the day:d , and all for a measley £296.00:rofl:

Can you believe that!! judging by threads of others who had this problem I was expecting the part alone to cost this, let alone the labour for the dash out. Maybe they found a quick fix for it now.

Anyway, I know that slagging off your local dealership is normally a pass time but I must say that I felt I had 10 out of 10 on this occasion.

#43 ·
I traded my 2002 Avantime 3.0 in for the dealer's demo 2.0T auto Vel Satis a couple of weeks ago and am still getting to grips with it. It seems a bit more solid than the Avantime, which was starting to creak and rattle a bit. Main reason behind the change was the rising running costs costs of the Avantime. Biggest drawback is the difficulty in finding it in the car park.
It does seem a bit harsher under acceleration than the Avantime but fuel consumption is better. LPG not an option as I use the Chunnel at least once a month. The dip pattern of the headlamps is also a concern. Guess I'll have to go the duct tape route when I can find the pattern to cut to.

#44 ·
Two questions:

1. Has anyone got a wired solution for an ipod? Got this Dension ice link which was supposed to work with Cabasse stereo but didn't and I dont like the FM modulators.

2. Has anyone had a towbar fitted as i'd like details. All my local fitters dont seem to list a detachable for the Vel.

#45 ·
Hi James

Can't help you with your ipod, but I've just had a detachable towbar fitted. The fitters are in Halifax, so that will be of no use to you, but the towbar is from a company in Sheffield (I think) called GDW. You should be able to find one on Google and there are other manufacturers that make them for our car. I'm not terribly happy with mine as the bumper cut is quite severe, and I have since seen examples of a detachable one that when removed have a plate to cover the hole. I can't find the website now, but it was a very neat solution. I recommend that you do some research, and even check with Renault UK.

A word of caution - if you have reversing sensors, make sure you get a removable towbar as when I have mine connected, the reversing sensors detect it. If I had gone for a swan neck, I would have have been very upset.

#47 ·
Turncoat!
At least I kept it in the family. I considered a lexus, but the attitude of the sales staff put me right off.

The Avantime was 5 years old, and started to misfire. Four of the coils failed at the same time, and the timing belt was also due for replacement. Total bill €4500. Then some low life rammed me in Folkestone. I stopped and the fatherless sped off leaving me with a trashed rear bumper and an insurance bill of €2500. After 5 happy years I just fancied something else.

#48 ·

Hi all,

sorry to post on two strands, but didnt see the switchover to the new one.

I have been offered vel satis 3.0dci, red, cream leather 03 (sounds worryingly like spydermans lemon). I have read the problems, but overall, whats the reliability and running cost like? I do about 25k miles per annum and dont want to be left at the side of the road. Last three letters on plate are LDN if anyone has any experience of this particular car??

:eek:

#49 ·
I've had my Vel Satis for 10 months, the alternator clutch rattles at idle, although the alternator works OK it is a total replacement job. For Renault to replace you are looking at almost £1k. Fortunately I have located the parts from a damaged Vel (rear damage) for £50.00, which my local Renault dealer will fit for me, about an hours labour. Which I will have done before I motor down to Southern France – just in case! Yes, it can be expensive, but thats the case with any luxury car. Tyres will set you back almost £200.00 each for Michelins. But its a good motorway cruiser. I have got over 40mpg but normally return either side of mid 30's, and even at 125mph its still close to 30mpg! Also for those in the rear you won't find many other vehicles offering as much space either for passengers or the occassional large load.

#52 ·
Hi All,

I'm not exactly new to the Forum, but it's taken me ages to work out that it helps to enable posting if you pay the subs.....Thanks to James for opening this thread. It's nice to find other people who know what a Vel Satis is!!

My VS 3.0dCi Privilege has now covered around 40k miles. I bought it at just over 2 years old with 10k on the clock, and haven't regretted it for a moment. It's the best all-rounder I've ever had.

It hasn't been entirely trouble-free, but it has never let me down on the road, and Renault have been positively anxious to ensure faults are put right. The front suspension joints, rear discs and injection pump have been replaced, and the engine management system reprogrammed, all under warranty (and mostly under recall notice). The build quality is excellent, and my fear that the electrics would be dodgy and lots of small bits would fall off has proved completely unfounded.

Mine has a towbar fitted. The fitter said it was the first VS he had done, and he hoped it would be the last! No detachables were available at the time, and I have to switch off the reversing sensors. Does anyone know how the sensors' field might be narrowed? It does make a fabulous towcar.

A new set of tyres at 34k was a bit of a challenge. £720 for Michelins was beyond contemplating, but the manager of my local tyre depot suggested I try Federal SS595s at £70 each. I can thoroughly recommend them. I can detect no difference in the handling, while the ride seems a little less fidgety (more-flexible sidewalls?) and they run quieter. After about 6000 miles there's no measurable wear on the back, and the fronts are less than half-worn. This is definitely a case of cheapest is best.

I'm hoping the car will last for years, because I can't think of another model that would suit our needs better.

Happy motoring.

David

G
#53 ·
Hi. Just noticed this comment:
Cairndale said:
I'm not exactly new to the Forum, but it's taken me ages to work out that it helps to enable posting if you pay the subs
It is *not* necessary to pay subs to post in the forum. If you we're only paying the subs to get posting, please let me know and I will sort out a refund

Subscriptions only provide access to private messages etc. All posting functionality remains the same for everyone who registers for free. The only restricted areas are the for sale and wanted sections

#55 ·
New Vel Satis Member

Hi you Vel Satis owners.
I am about to take delivery in a weeks time of a VS 3.5 v6 petrol Privelege.
Saw one in a Sainsburys car park - liked the looks of the car, went to my local Renault dealer who had one and decided I had to have it after a test drive and general examination.
I'm really looking forward to its delivery.

So, whats the bad news and whats the good news ???
Many thanks.:)

#56 ·
Hi there bimmerpjp, and welcome to the forums (and Renault ownership).

Mine is the diesel, so I can only comment on what will be common to both petrol & diesel engined examples.

Good points; space, comfort, value, equipment, rarity, unique design, they tend to be well-looked after, parts availability is good as they are still in LHD production, safety, good handling for such a large car.

Bad points; Renault dealers tend to have little/no experience in fault-finding, a few recalls - make sure all work has been carried out prior to delivery, depreciation (although if you buy at a good price and intend keeping it for a while, then its less of a problem), tyre consumption & price (shop around - I buy my tyres at £105 each), large windscreen prone to chipping (but I can fix my own;) ), cost of spares can be very high (keep your car under warranty), electrics can be a bit hit or miss - check it all works.

Don't be put off that one list is longer than the other - the plus points have more magnitude in importance.

I purposely avoided the petrol, because of the fuel consumption - my car is covering around 20k miles per year, but if you plan on a significantly lower mileage (or you have deep pockets), then its less of a factor.

All the best with the purchase.

#57 ·
Thanks VELSatisfied (aka Paul). For the info and the advice.
Not sure how long I will keep the car - depends how it goes - but comes with a new full service and with 1 years parts&labour warranty.
Recall advice much appreciated - I'll look for the recall history and see if theres anything that affects this version of the VS.
I chose the 3.5v6 for its performance - I'll only do about 6000 a year and will put up with the mpg.
I don't know whether I have a good buy as I am not familiar with this but it is one owner, is a Privelege, has done 41000 warrantied miles and cost £7035 (from advertised price of £7995) - sounded pretty good value to me but then I'm an ex Bimmer driver !!!

Come on you other owners - got some stuff for me ?

#58 ·
We, that's 'Vel' owners are few and far between, so don't expect a big response.
I would second all that VelSatisfied (I think there is a big clue in his tag) has to say. I'm about to take mine back home – to the South of France – nothing is as comfortable particularly for those in the rear to cruise along in. And where permissible will return over 30mpg @ 100+mph! But then I too have the diesel unit.
I hope you find it rewarding.

#60 ·
Hey guys, slight subject change but, is it just mine, or is anyone else out there less than impressed with the sound of the Cabasse stereo?????

I'm not expecting it to sound like I have a 15" sub in the boot, bit to be fair, my Vauxhall Astra has more punch to it!! If you add more bass it really seems to make little difference, neither does the loudness setting in expert. Obviously top end is not a problem just the bass really. Does anyone else feel that they have a balance spectrum of sound, has anyone ever had to replace speakers or anything? I'm wondering if my bass units are shot or something.

#61 ·
Hi James,
The problem is the speakers, they are absolutely **** poor quality, if you take one out, you will realise by the weight of it.
Im running a standard Cabasse headunit, with Alphasonik 13cm co-axials all round (4).
It now feels almost as if there is a 10" sub in the back :)
And the clarity is still there.

Hope this helps
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.