Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #54 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Originally Posted by Cairndale View Post
Hi All,

I'm not exactly new to the Forum, but it's taken me ages to work out that it helps to enable posting if you pay the subs.....Thanks to James for opening this thread. It's nice to find other people who know what a Vel Satis is!!

My VS 3.0dCi Privilege has now covered around 40k miles. I bought it at just over 2 years old with 10k on the clock, and haven't regretted it for a moment. It's the best all-rounder I've ever had.

It hasn't been entirely trouble-free, but it has never let me down on the road, and Renault have been positively anxious to ensure faults are put right. The front suspension joints, rear discs and injection pump have been replaced, and the engine management system reprogrammed, all under warranty (and mostly under recall notice). The build quality is excellent, and my fear that the electrics would be dodgy and lots of small bits would fall off has proved completely unfounded.

Mine has a towbar fitted. The fitter said it was the first VS he had done, and he hoped it would be the last! No detachables were available at the time, and I have to switch off the reversing sensors. Does anyone know how the sensors' field might be narrowed? It does make a fabulous towcar.

A new set of tyres at 34k was a bit of a challenge. 720 for Michelins was beyond contemplating, but the manager of my local tyre depot suggested I try Federal SS595s at 70 each. I can thoroughly recommend them. I can detect no difference in the handling, while the ride seems a little less fidgety (more-flexible sidewalls?) and they run quieter. After about 6000 miles there's no measurable wear on the back, and the fronts are less than half-worn. This is definitely a case of cheapest is best.

I'm hoping the car will last for years, because I can't think of another model that would suit our needs better.

Happy motoring.

Hello & Welcome to the Forums David.

A good all round post on the Vel Satis, I'm glad you enjoy ownership of a very exclusive car.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome