Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Battery Tray Corrosion

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th May 2007 Thread Starter
Opel Fruit
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane - Battery Tray Corrosion

I'm looking to replace our rotting Omega with a Megane. Used to have one in France (when we lived there, obviously) and it was wholly reliable (1.4 8 valve).

So I have been scouring Fleabay and the chronically out of date Autotrader website. Of the 3 efforts I have looked at one was particularly sound and original. However...

the ONLY thing wrong with it was the battery "tray" behind the semi-bulkhead was very rotten, to the point of being able to push a finger through it. I did have a little surface rust on the French car, which I simply treated and gobbed with Waxoyl when I changed the battery.

Obviously the corrosion is caused by acid venting or a split/leaky battery. My questions are 1) are Meganes prone to this wholesale? and 2) is it terminal or reparable? What is beneath the panel the battery sits on?

Any words of wisdom welcomed.

I suppose what I'm also hedging toward is should I buy an otherwise mint car and know it is readily repaired, or should I walk?

Currently in Opel Fruit's garage:
Safrane 2.2
  5 Lastest Threads by Opel Fruit
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Megane - Battery Tray Corrosion Bodywork Opel Fruit 3 1716 17th May 2007 07:45 PM
Safrane 2.2 Petrol boiling?? Engines Opel Fruit 17 2447 4th May 2007 08:03 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome