Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #676 of (permalink) Old 21st May 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Interesting development

Just found out today that VOSA have far more powers than they say they do! For a distributor to comply with the General Product Safety Regulations they have to be able to provide relevant information to enable consumers to assess the risk inherent in its product throughout the normal and reasonably foreseeable period of its use where such risks are not obvious to the user. This should include information on the precautions to be given to those at risk.

I believe this would mean that Renault would have to inform Clio owners of the risk not maintaining the bonnet clip would be. I still don't believe it is a maintenance issue but if they insist it is they are not complying with these Regs!

It is an Offence for a producer to fail to provide consumers with relevant information enabling them to assess the risk inherent in a product throughout the normal or reasonably foreseeable period of its use, where such risk are not immediately obvious without adequate warnings, and to take precautions against those risks. £5000 fine and/or three months imprisonment.

Who has the power to enforce these Regulations yes VOSA! VOSA can't get away with what they are doing as in Regulation 36 of the Regs it places a DUTY on VOSA to do so - " In order to ensure a high level of consumer health and safety protection, enforcement authorities SHALL within the limits of their responsibility and the extent of their ability undertake market surveillance of products employing appropriate means and procedures and cooperating with other enforcement authorities and competent authorities of other Member States which include:
a.) ...
b.) follow-up and updating og scientific and technical knowledge concerning safety of products.
( I was at a course today on these Regs so I know that VOSA are one of the enforcement authorities required to enforce these Regs)

Through these Regs VOSA can also force the manufacturer to issue a Recall, withdraw the product from the market, issue a suspension notice, give a requirement to mark or give a requirement to warn.

Can anyone out their tell me if there is a British Standard for cars?
Currently in Meesh's garage:
2003 Renault Clio Billabong

Last edited by Meesh; 21st May 2007 at 07:06 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome