Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 'Free Safety Checks'

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
'Free Safety Checks'

I have been indirectly involved in an arguement between a customer and a Renault Dealer.I can't really go into too much detail,but it was regarding a free safety check that was carried out by the dealer on a Scenic that was in for some unrelated work(a radio repair I think...).

The dealer said that the car desperately needed front discs and pads and put pressure on the (elderly) customer to have the work done there and then for a ridiculously high price.The customer declined the offer and had the car inspected elsewhere and it was found that the brakes had loads of life left in them.

Although the dealer later inspected the car again and apologised,remarking that the mechanic involved had 'made a mistake' and the brakes were fine,Trading Standards were very interested when contacting by the customer and they are investigating the case.

If you would like to add your thoughts and experiences about this,then please remember we cannot name and shame dealers or individuals,but please feel free to say if you have been involved in something similar.

The dealer offered to MOT the car for free as long as the customer owned it,and offered a 50% discount on any parts needed if the car ever failed,they also apparently disciplined the mechanic involved,but I can't help thinking that there is more to this than meets the eye....

(I'm not accusing just Renault of doing this,either.I've had experiences of other manufacturers main dealers of doing the same.......just remember,there is no such thing as a 'Free Safety Check'.)

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
  5 Lastest Threads by Lagdti
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2014 Isle Of Man TT Bikes Gonescenile 2 2138 2nd June 2014 09:52 PM
40,000th Post......:eek: General Chat excavator 57 5409 3rd May 2013 02:28 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome