Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #679 of (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Bonnet Catch fixed for free

I'm a newbie to this fab site. I thought I would share my Clio Bonnet problem.

I had noticed over the past few months that the lever for the bonnet in my car on the passenger side was a bit stiff and sticky. I hadn't saw Watchdog so wasn't aware of the problems.

A couple of weeks ago the lever stopped working so I couldn't get into the bonnet at all.

I then asked around and discovered the problems reported with the catch. My friend reckoned my lever wasn't working BECAUSE of the rubbish catch.

I called Renault (after seeing a site saying they would fix them all for free) who told me they are sending out letters to all clio owners (some half a million) to take their clio to the nearest dealer to get it checked out.

I took my car to my nearest AC (not sure if I can name drop) to be told by them that it was a "lubrication"/"maintenance" problem. I was also told that renaul were only recalling certain years of clio's ( 2004 and 05 I think the guy said). I told him about my conversation with renault and the letter and getting it fixed for FREE (you can imagine the look on his face when I said that!). Anyway, after good few mins of me saying there was a problem, him saying there wasn't (ie, you aint getting nothing for free from us) etc etc. A guy appeared and CONFIRMED what I said. That Renault were recalling all of them because it's a safety issue.

Lo an behold 30 mins later I was driving my clio away with a new catch FOR FREE. I didn't get charged a penny.

NOTE: I didn't actually tell them I couldn't open the bonnet or that the lever was sticking, just chuckled to myself as I watched him try to open it. Oddly, enough there was a point where 3 of them (including the manager) were standing round the PC shaking there heads when the manager turned and said "just do it" or "just fix it" (I guessed they were talking about my car).

Currently in glasgowclio's garage:
2001 Clio Extreme 16v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome