Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - hello im new.... Is the laguna 2 a reliable car?

View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 23rd May 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Schmooster View Post
Again, that's no horror story - it's not great, but then I'm a great believer in 'you get what you pay for'. You get a lot of Lag per pound spent initially, this could cost you a lot more in the long run if you're unlucky though, and the Lag does seem to have it's share of sh1tty luck.

Car for car though there aren't very many more warranty claims per hundred than there is for the Mondeo, I think 2 or 3 more on the Lag at thirty-odd out of every hundred - 1 in 3! Pretty poor in my opinion, but not the worst offender.

Luckily mine wasn't new, it had 93k on it and a clean bill of health (touch wood) - I wouldn't have another though because I have no confidence in it, it feels like every extra day is a blessing, you're either unlucky, or unluckier with these it seems and it's just a matter of time - although it seems that preventative maintenance might just be the key.
Yeah the reason I bought from TRADESALES was because I was saving approx 4k off the list price. The best deal I could get from a main dealer was about 1.5k extra for a 1.8 petrol expression. As for "every extra day is a blessing" well I tend to sympathise with that view. What is clear is that renault's original maintenance schedule for the 1.9 dCi engine was incompatible with the way the engine was engineered into the car (read the 82 pages of Lag II posts on Parkers forum). This has been corrected in the later models i.e. about 53/ 04 reg onwards. Still here's to some more "fingers crossed" motoring
Currently in submariner's garage:
2002 Laguna II 1.9 dCi Dynamique Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome