Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - tinted windows

Thread: tinted windows
View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 23rd May 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
As most of you, I understand the law to apply to the front windows only.

I also understand that anyone stopping you does not have to use a meter to book you.... their opinion is good enough.

Further, the law is quite unclear about front tints.... as mentioned in the reply by the police, the fronts can be tinted upto 25% BUT you have to bear in mind that most cars already have some degree of tint in them. What makes things worse is the fact that I've read somewhere that its not the tint itself that is against the law, its more to do with the film... i.e. if it is a built-in tint then its more or less ok, but they don't like any 'film' stuck onto the window. I suppose thats because it is removeable therefore they will damage / remove it for their own satisfaction (as they do).

Not sure how true this is, but as the law was passed in 2004(?), if you can prove the tints were fitted before then then apparently they are more lenient towards you?????

PS: I had my colleague phoning me in the morning to warn me about my tints due to a radio call-in!
Currently in TazzyK's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Privilege (2004), Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Expression (2005), Volkswagon Passat 2.0 TDi S (2006), Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic Lusso (2008)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome