Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Why do dealers pre-register cars?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 30th December 2005
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by kleen
Just out of curiosity, was wondering what all this "pre-registering" is about. Now i'm not talking about the type where they pre-register a car that they haven't actually sold. Rather, when you buy a car and find that it has gone through some 3rd party company first.
My 1999 V Laguna Sport was pre-registered in September and a panic sale (1,500 off) in October. When I changed it earlier this year I mentioned the possibility of getting similar to the (Renault) salesman but he said it is not allowed nowadays, he'd never known it in several years with the dealership. I can understand that there could be a tax implication in this but don't know enough about it to understand how it might work. Registering the car to the purchaser at another address sounds rather strange and I can't understand why a dealer might do that. If he knows he's going to sell it to you he might as well use your address. Might it have been a mistake?
Currently in narrowgauge's garage:
58 Laguna III Expression 130 cDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome