Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Very, very frightening experience

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 30th December 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by oafcmarky
i can't believe the way some old people drive these days, they are by far the worst drivers. tootling down the motorway in their morris minors doing 40mph .
They mostly seem to drive Hondas these days, well round here at least.

I had a similarly scary experience on the M57 once. Someone jumped into the outside lane in front of me doing around 40mph when I was doing nearer to 80. This, and a couple of similar incidents like it made me pay more consideration to the speed differential between me and other traffic as opposed to my absolute speed. When someone jumps out in front of you with a speed differential of 40mph, it's serious brown trousers time.

Anyway, the idiot who did this was only partly to blame. The real cause was a car doing about 30mph in the middle lane, with the inside lane empty. Obviously the other driver wasn't prepared to 'undertake' and didn't check far enough behind before pulling out into lane 3.

By far the hariest experience happened on the same stretch of motorway, at the very end, queueing at the lights at Switch Island. I had a car in front of me and clear motorway behind, when I noticed a Transit approaching from behind. The van didn't seem to be slowing, and when it got close enough for me to see, the driver had his head turned 90 degrees, obviously chatting to one of the passengers. The right thing to do would have been to blast the horn, but I'd gone into 'stunned bunny in the middle of the road' mode by then, and was too busy debating whether to stay put or try to dive out of the car. At the very last minute, he turned to face forward and swerved into the (fortunately empty) other lane. I reckon his closing speed was 60 plus, so I dread to think what would have happened if he'd carried on with his conversation.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome