Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to Change the Alternator Clio Mk1 1.4

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th May 2007 Thread Starter
chris m
Let's be carefull out there
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Send a message via MSN to chris m
How to Change the Alternator Clio Mk1 1.4

The following applies to the Clio Mk1 1.4, I believe the location of the alternator may vary dependent on the engine spec'd in the model of car.

Disconnect Battery negative terminal before starting work.

Apply handbrake and jack up car. Support on stands. Remove drivers side front wheel for access to lower bolt.

from inside the engine bay, undo and remove the top adjusting nut and bolt. (see photo)

Rotate alternator towards the front of the car and remove the drive belt.

From inside the wheel arch remove the plastic wheel arch liner to gain access to the bottom alternator bolt.

Undo and withdraw bolt while supporting alternator. (see photo)

Working from under the car turn the alternator to gain access to the back and remove the red wire (10mm spanner) and the 2 wire multiplug (squeeze side lugs and pull).

The haynes manual suggests removing alternator through the top of the engine bay, I could not find a way to do this without dismantleing the inlet manifold so took this approach.

Undo the Track Rod swivel joint and remove from hub carrier.

Undo the 2 bolts holding the suspension to the top of the hub carrier.

You should now be able to twist the hub / driveshaft assembly towards the front of the car leaving enough room to manuevere the alternator out behind it.

Refitting is the reverse procedur.

i.e. push the new alternator back through the gap and attach the bottom bolt and wiring. Refit the plastic cover to the alternator (clips onto the bottom bolt).
Refit the top bolt and attach the top of the plastic cover and securing nut.
Swing alt forward and attach drive belt.
Retension bolt and check all bolts tight.
Refit suspension arm and track rod end.
Refit arch liner and roadwheel.
Reconect battery and test drive.
Currently in chris m's garage:
2000 Scenic 2.0 16v Monaco, BMW 3 Series, Pug 206
  5 Lastest Threads by chris m
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2.0L Scenic Starter motor keeps going **Fixed** Electronics lancs dave 78 1445 15th May 2016 07:46 PM
Scenic I Dash illumination issue Electronics chris m 3 1852 18th January 2011 09:26 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome