Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Intermittent starting 02 Megane

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 29th May 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I had this issue where my car wouldn't start at random intervals, it started a few months back on my T reg Megane I've had for 5yrs. It would happen every couple of weeks and I'd been lucky so far as it had always happened at work where I park on top floor of a car park so was able to coast it down a floor to get it jumped started.

When it wouldn't start I had the following symptoms:-
Dashboard lights came on ok and were bright as normal,
turning on headlights did not dim the dash lights so assumed battery was ok,
immobiliser lights on dash flashed as stated in the manual indicating it recognised my key,
turning the key to start to start brought no response, not even a click from the engine,

It came to the crunch when it happened to me again with in the middle of the lakes where I'd chosen somewhere to park where it wasn't possible to push start it (Doh - all the hills in the Lakes and I don't park on top of one), lucky a family member drove out to give a hand.

Anyway for me it turned out I had a bad connection with the wire to the solenoid by the starter motor, I think over time the vibrations from the engine have worked it loose (although it didn't feel like it when trying to get at it). I've read some posts of people finding this wire corroded but mine was clean as anything, just needed pushing on a then started first time.

The solenoid and starter motor are situated behind the engine, hard to see, put hand down the back right side of the engine and you should feel the starter motor and the smaller solenoid close by - feel for the wires and you're there.
Currently in Lakeuk's garage:
1999 Renault Megane Classic 1.6 (used to)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome