Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Poor Fuel Economy???

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 30th May 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Poor Fuel Economy???

Hi all

If I've posted this in the wrong section can somone please let me know.

Iím hoping someone can help me work out if I have a problem with my Lag II fuel economy.

Since buying the car in December 06 it consumes fuel much faster that I had expected for a 1.6L engine. It seems to guzzle like a 2.0L and itís not even a 1.8L!

Hereís one example of why Iím suspiciousÖ

On 10/05 I filled the tank, £56 (ouch!). On 27/05 I put another £15 in. This £71 provided with: x1 Nottingham Ė Birmingham return trip, x1 Nottingham Ė Leicester return trip, Mondays Ė Fridays to and from work (12 miles round trip) between 10/05 & today, and the odd trip to the local shops. The fuel gauge needle is now on the highest red line....again!

The Laguna has been fully serviced this year, done about 55,000 miles and is a 2001 plate. If you need more specs just ask.

To help you help me I thought Iíd reset my Lag II computer whilst on the M1 and take some readings. Here are the resultsÖ

Over a distance of 6 miles at a constant speed of 70-75mph at 3200rpm the computer displayed a maximum of 47mpg.

Now Iíve never had a car with a mpg reader so not sure what the norm is for my spec of car based on the above criteria. Should I be getting better mpg or is this ok???

Also, but even more concerning, after leaving the motorway and driving through towns/junctions/traffic lights etc the mpg counter sticks until reset. It then provides readings over the next 1-2 miles before it gets stuck once more. This happens all of the time. So, in light of this how do I know the counter is providing an accurate reading? Is it??? Can I rely on it???

I could go on and on but Iím sure Iíve said enough for someone to throw some suggestions at me.

Am I expecting too much in the way of fuel economy or do I have a problem?

Thank you all for reading and for any suggestions.

Currently in jamesleicester's garage:
Laguna II 1.6 Expression 2001
  5 Lastest Threads by jamesleicester
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Help!!!!! Removing A Nut Cars & motoring jamesleicester 9 1698 26th September 2007 08:10 PM
Front Suspension Strut Spring Removal? Cars & motoring sport1 9 8747 25th September 2007 10:45 PM
Laguna 2 Coil Spring repair tomorrow! Cars & motoring jamesleicester 6 2026 24th September 2007 10:43 PM
Poor Fuel Economy??? Cars & motoring jamesleicester 3 1662 30th May 2007 10:43 PM
Upgrading elec window switches? Electronics jamesleicester 3 1063 30th April 2007 10:51 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome