Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Reliable Renaults only please

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 1st June 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Just follow the usual advice and change the oil and filter at least once between services - at least every 9K, or possibly even every 6K if you do mostly urban mileage.

At 40K, you'll only have had two services so far, so that's only two missed oil changes if you were going by the 9K schedule instead. I'd be surprised to hear of the dreaded turbo failure at such low mileage (I'm ready to be corrected) so I'd be pretty confident that things will be okay as long as you go by the revised oil change schedule in future.

As Chris says, check that the warranty covers the turbo . I'd also contemplate extending the warranty with a third-party one when it runs out, also making sure that this covers the turbo too.

Finally every turbodiesel owner (not just Renault) should be prepared for the worst case scenario, which is where the engine starts running on its lubricating oil and suddenly races out of control (on the Renaults, it's usually the turbo that causes this, but other problems can cause the same symptoms on other cars.)

Quick thinking on your part can easily make the difference between needing a new turbo and intercooler, and needing a whole new engine. If this happens, stop the car, apply the footbrake hard, stick it in a high gear and dump the clutch to stall the engine. Don't attempt to restart it until you've had it looked at.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome