Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II Handbrake Failing?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th October 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic II Handbrake Failing?

For the past few weeks the O/S rear brake has been sticking. I have been short on time and was only driving short distances so just ignored it. Sometimes it would free up within short distance, other times I could feel the heat from the wheel when walking past!

Anyway, it was in for MOT yesterday and was not surprised to find out that it failed for O/S rear parking brake sticking. The guy told me that he stripped the unit back to try and sort it but it would only work for a few goes then the motor would seize up again. He quoted me 795 for a new unit but I declined.

I'm going to have a go at sorting it myself as I have no intention of spending much more money on this car (already had the resistor pack failure, electric window failure and dephaser failure). From looking at pictures of the unit opened up I can see there is one motor. This puzzles me as the N/S handbrake works just fine so how can the motor have seized and that side still work?

I have read various posts on here and some people have said the computer just needed reset. Others say it was the caliper that was sticking. Before I start stripping back the rear of the car, does it seem plausible that the motor can be seizing but still have one side of the handbrake working? I can't seem to get my head round this being possible from looking at pictures of the unit.

Currently in Incubus1980's garage:
1.9 SAAB 9-3 Vector & 2006 Megane Scenic
  5 Lastest Threads by Incubus1980
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic II Handbrake Failing? Brakes/Hubs Nottnoc 9 1375 7th October 2014 09:40 AM
Change coolant on 2006 Scenic Heating & cooling hondo 7 3594 3rd October 2013 11:53 AM
Changing pads and found a problem with electronic... Brakes/Hubs Incubus1980 4 1437 23rd September 2013 01:23 PM
Low voltage on Drivers side window Electronics hondo 3 1122 7th April 2013 10:24 PM
What is the drag link end ball joint Steering and Suspension Incubus1980 2 8674 10th November 2010 08:38 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome