Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - hello im new.... Is the laguna 2 a reliable car?

View Single Post
post #34 of (permalink) Old 1st June 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
None taken. The trouble with cars such as these is that often, in the search for one problem, others reveal themselves and this has been the case for this car. To give you some idea my wife had a 12 year old Primera and a C.V. boot had given up the ghost, so I stripped it down and everything was as good as new, ball joints, steering etc. this was a 100K car with a full documented history. There was nothing to say that anything had been replaced and it all still had the original Nissan markings and codes on.

I think that the problems with the Laguna are threefold.
1. Everything was done to a cost and the quality of some of the original fitments were very poor.
2. Renault rushed the Laguna II into production as its biggest rival Ford was about to release the Mondeo. this left the car with a lot of teething issues.
3. The car is a significantly heavier design than previous models meaning that wear is more of a factor.

Of course, I gave the car a once over befre I bought it and I was aware of the rear beam issues and knew this was something I could easily do. What has staggered me is the amount of wear in the front suspension. I've worked on a huge range of cars and I have never come across so many issues in such a low mileage car. At the end of the day, i have the skills to put them right so I am lucky but had I not, I'd be looking to spend nearly what the car cost me to put everything straight.
Currently in goon's garage:
Citroen C4 VTS - The Laguna has moved on to pastures new!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome