Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to fit Laguna II reverse sensors for a tenner!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 1st June 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Angry How to fit Laguna II reverse sensors for a tenner!

A tenner? Yes, it can be done! Netto were selling two sensor reverse kits for a tenner and similar ones can be found on eBay for the same. Here's how you do it (Most operate on the same principal), so follow these instructions and you won't go wrong.

You will need:
an old coat hanger (Wire type)
A trim removal tool (Can be bought from halfords)
a set of small torx drive screw drivers.
A lot of patience and time
Before doing anything, Disconnect the battery!!!!!!!!

1.Carefully prise out the black trim from the rear bumper. A strip of masking tape above and below it will stop you marking the paint work.
2. You will see four holes that Renault put in for reverse sensors. Carefully mark their positions on the corresponding black trims and drill with the holesaw supplied with your kit.
3. Push in the sensors.
4. Working from your right hand side first, feed in the wires. You are going to pass them to the left. My tip for this is to attatch to a length of coat hanger wire, prise out the number plate lights and pass it through.
5. Do the same with the left hand one.
6. There is a rubber wiring grommet on the left hand side to allow you to pass into the boot. This was a tight squeese so I actually threaded mine up through the light cluster.
7. Refit the trims.
8. Unscrew/unbolt the black boot lit plate. Take off all the left hand trim screws (Black plastic) and take out the left hand grey trim. Also lift out the boot seal. The control unit needs to take a positive feed from the reverse light and needs to be earthed. I found an earthing screw but be aware!!!! The explosive charge for the side airbags is housed in the upper trim. Make sure you do not disturb any of these wires.
9. The reverse light is housed in the boot light clusters so I lengthened the feed, passed it up through the rubber wiring boot and into the bootlid. You will need to undo the reverseing light cluster and remove the plastic boot lid trim and side panels.
10. The wire needs to be cut into the reverseing light wire. These aren't colour coded and I worked out which it was by tracing the PCB lines in the cluster. You can scotchlock this on but I would recommend cutting, soldering and housing in heat shrink.
11. Test the system by reconnecting the battery and engaging reverse. (You'll need to connect the buzzer to the control unit.)
12. Fit the control unit. Mine came with a strong piece of adhesive velcro and i located it just behind the wheel arch. Next, you will need to feed the buzzer wire through to the front. (You may also have a display unit) This is a case of prising up trim and feeding it along the sill towards the front. I tie wrapped mine to the original wiring loom. At the front, I removed the passenger kick trim and loosed the dash. I then removed the sunvisor, so I could gain access to the A pillar trim. I then fed the wire through and located the Display on the dash just behind the tweeter.
13. Refit all the trims.
14. Curse the fact that you have scraped your hands whilst doing the job

And there you have it. Not a difficult job, just fiddly. PM me if you are having a go and need some advice.

Currently in goon's garage:
Citroen C4 VTS - The Laguna has moved on to pastures new!

Last edited by goon; 1st June 2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: My keyboard's knackered
The Following User Says Thank You to goon For This Useful Post:
clivem (6th July 2014)
  5 Lastest Threads by goon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
DCI engine oil filler housing Engines goon 0 941 14th August 2011 09:58 AM
Is the Laguna II a good car? Bodywork goon 16 5962 16th June 2007 09:07 AM
How to replace a strut bearing/ remove a... Miscellaneous gotminefree 7 14207 10th June 2007 06:26 PM
Ticked off - My Lagunas got no indicator tick! Electronics goon 4 1510 1st June 2007 10:25 PM
How to fit Laguna II reverse sensors for a tenner! Miscellaneous clivem 6 6428 1st June 2007 01:09 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome