Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II Handbrake Failing?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 15th October 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Scenic II Handbrake Failing?

Ok, so I managed to pull the whole handbrake system out of the car for a good look. The central box where the two cables are attached to a sliding metal plate that is then connected to the handbrake motor was completely stuck. I could only remove it by using a hammer and chisel as it was rusted into place.

I'm going to take a dremel to it to give it a good clean. I didn't see any lubrication in there at all. Should this sliding plate be coated in grease? As its not a completely sealed unit surely any dirt that gets in there will stick?

What sort of lubrication should I use in the cables? I've got various spray greases, WD40, plus gas etc. Which is best for this application?

As a side note, I was reading the manual on the EPB and it says that you should pull the emergency release if your battery fails and you need to move the car. The problem with this is the boot can't be opened from outside with a dead battery and the location of the handle is right up against the hinge part of the boot cover so not easy to get to from inside either. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs shot!
Currently in Incubus1980's garage:
1.9 SAAB 9-3 Vector & 2006 Megane Scenic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome