Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #711 of (permalink) Old 5th June 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
My recommendations to all - wherever possible, keep pushing Renault UK, keep pushing your dealerships, and more importantly involve anyone in the power to make a difference to intervene...whether it's MPs, media outlets, whatever.QUOTE]

Would it be fair to make points such as the following? (Not having suffered catch failure, I can't speak from experience -only from the experience of not being reassured by Renault's talk of reassurance.)

It's interesting to note that as recently as 23 January this year, Renault could issue a statement on the Clio bonnet issue which contained the word 'maintenance' not once.

The only talk was of 'the bonnet not being closed properly as per the clear instructions in the vehicle handbook'.

Even the basic maintenance issue of tyre pressure is referred to in the owners' handbook, while the bonnet catch isn't. This and the fact that garages could not or did not detect the problem suggests that it is an idiosyncratic one. Doesn't that imply that it is also more than a maintenance one, that it is also a safety one? (And how easy is it for owners to detect it?)

I know that when confronted with the criticism of their whistleblower, Renault said that he did not have the technical knowledge to comment or something. But to me it seems a matter of common sense.

If substantially more Clio bonnets are opening than those of other cars, there seem to be only a few possibilities:

i) Clio owners are more stupid than owners of other cars and don't know how to use their bonnet - which seems to me improbable.

ii) Garages are handling Clios with a kind of 'laissez-faire' attitude that they do not apply to other cars - which again seems unlikely.

iii) Clios are not working properly.
Currently in Philip's garage:
2002 Renault Clio Expression+ 1.2 16v
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome