Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - Heater Fan *fixed*

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs down Re: Renault - Scenic II - Heater Fan *fixed*

ATTENTION .. hold your horses before following my previous guide as it has stopped working again (fans just work on position 4) due to what I suspect are sub-standard / cheap components purchased from ebay .

so having previously fixed it, and on a longer drive where we had the aircon on (level 2) for about an hour, I suddenly smelt smoke in the car !! I immediately turned off the fans and it died away.
On a later inspection at home I turned the fans on again and within a minute I could smell smoke again. I took the heater resistor back out of the dash and could see burnt scorch marks .. NOTE: not to the wiring or the loom as before, that all looked fine .. but to the green heat compound surrounding the actual heater resistor unit. I tested this once again with it hanging out of the dash and sure enough it nearly immediately started smoking and left for about 30seconds I could see the green compound continuing to turn black! I'll post a pic.

As I said before, the wiring and the connection block all look fine with no sign of over heating of melting .. this was purely the green compound. I compared it to the old one which I swapped out, and there wasn't a single sign of discolouration on it. I also noted that the green compound applied was much more neatly done.
I have concluded that the cheap Heater Resistor ~15.00 I got from ebay was in fact not at all fit for purpose (let alone a fire hazard), a dodgy one!
I've taken the plunge of going to a genuine Renault one at 61.00 and am also going to go the long haul of removing the dash this time to ensure I can access the area fully.
Will report back.
Currently in saltbartechnologies's garage:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saltbartechnologies For This Useful Post:
steve speed (15th May 2015), sweetp (25th November 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome