Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #720 of (permalink) Old 13th June 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by antg View Post
yea well i received a letter from renault a few weeks ago about this catch, so i quickly went to the local garage n they booked me in.

when i took my car in to the garage it only took about 20 mins, and the car was done.

when i got home i had a look at what they had done and basically they put a sticker on the bulkhead ??? :S duno what this is about but the bonnet catch looks very very very clean, but i am not sure if they replaced it, also where the catch meets the rest of the car there looks to be a new bit of metal, kind of like a blade covering about 20% of the hole duno if this is a saftey feature or anything, anyone else had theirs dun yet?
That bit in blue, is it the bit that looks like a horizontal guillotine? Is it the one that locks the centre-pin (the phallic shaped metal part that is surrounded by a spring) in place? If so they should also have checked for wear on the centre-pin itself where it is held by the 'guillotine' because it is made of soft metal and any wear at that particular point will make it liable to 'escape' pretty much like when you close a door on a latch. When you shut a door in your house, the latch retracts so that it can go past the striking plate and is able to do so because the leading side as it closes is shaped to 'flow' past and into its recess. If the centre-pin of your bonnet catch gets worn or deformed, it would possibly be able to also 'flow' past its retainer (the blade you mentioned) only in reverse, i.e. as it opens. (Think of the difference between a latch (a Yale perhaps) and a deadlock! Yeah?)

It seems to me thay are going to extreme measures not to lose face and VOSA have now got to justify their disinterest/disregard/apathy and their comments/reports. Further up, Colsclio said that Renault claimed that an investigation by VOSA "proved" that there was no fault with the catches , which is a blatant lie because they proved nothing and neither did VOSA. On the contrary, more than a thousand incidents have proved that something IS wrong. These latter didn't even investigate any failed catches and relied on what the Renault appointed "experts" told them. Does anyone know what qualifications these experts have? It used to be said that anyone sent to look at a job at least 50 miles away from home is called an expert. What did VOSA's experts find out? It seems that instead of engineers they have teams of incompetent pen-pushers whose only qualification is an aptitude to procrastinate, misinform and generally smooth out shockwaves.

There is an ocean of difference between charging someone with the job of "finding out what is going wrong" and charging someone to "prove there is nothing wrong"

Me? I have voted already and got rid of my Renault and want no more dealings with them. After a lifetime of French cars, my next will be anything but French. I have also discouraged one son from buying a Scenic and another from buying a Lag. It seems that even "one woman dead and another maimed" (as reported on Watchdog) is not enough to get these arrogant people to bow their heads in shame.

More should be done to bring someone to book and a good start would be for your MPs to call for some heads to roll.

Good day all.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS

Last edited by vass20; 13th June 2007 at 06:20 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome