Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Why do we all buy a renault?

View Single Post
post #26 of (permalink) Old 6th January 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to Benny
Like Brighty, I'm very tall (6'9" in my case, and "built" with it), so I needed a car which would not only be able to cope with height, but fairly...uhh...broad shoulders too.

I also wanted a car which was going to be able to take four people, and a decent amount of luggage...and also a boot which could swallow up my car audio hobby and still leave room for shopping / tents / assorted other stuff.

The car would also have to have plenty of toys, as I'm a techie by nature, so the more buttons the better.

The other stipulation was that it had to be fun.

So, I decided I wanted a Saab 9-5.

Drove a few...wasn't impressed. Had a look at a Focus and found it too small...a Wrecktra, and found it too grey...looked at an Accord Type R, but it wasn't torquey enough (212bhp all delivered above 6000rpm. No thanks!)...and then looked at a Mundaneo, (2.5V6 Ghia X) which was a lovely car, but the stereo stalk thing is in the wrong place, so stuck into my leg. Oh, and my grandad bought one too.

I had to get a wheel trim for my old Lag, so went to Snow Hill Renault in Copthorne to buy one, and saw the new Laguna on display, so had a sit inside it, and was nicely impressed...lots of toys, lots of space, lovely looking beast asked the sales bloke about it, and what options were available. He talked about the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0IDE...and then mentioned that there was a V6 auto available too. Another Renault dealer had one, so I drove down there and took it out for a test drive, and I was hooked. The missus didn't like it at first (she has a problem with green cars), but I loved it, so ended up buying it. Was a bit out of my original price range, but it was the only car I drove that put a smile on my face.

The build wuality wasn't up there with a Saab, but it was the whole experience - the looks, the toys, and the beautiful noise when you open up the V6 too...I knew I had to have it!

And I refuse to drive anything German. I'm sure they're hewn from granite and will last until the next ice age, but I just find Kraut cars so over-engineered and dull. The Accord was nice, but the power delivery didn't suit my driving style...and my other half told me that I was grinning the entire time I was driving the Renault. And to be honest, on the right bit of road with the right tune playing and the right gear still does!

Currently in Benny's garage:
His other half up the wall
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome