Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane water in footwell

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10th November 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Yahoo to samuely55
Re: Renault Megane water in footwell

Originally Posted by groggs71 View Post
Hi I have a Renault Megane Dynamic Sky so I have a double sunroof. I bought a second hand 06 in June Since the weather has only recently turned I never noticed an issue until today. Under the footwell of the drivers side has a little hidden pocket I opened it today to find it full of water and had to bail it out. I also opened up the hood of the car and noticed the top with the rubber had come away slightly i pushed it back into place and then i heard the gushing of water that had been trapped in the engine or that area at least. 2 weeks after buying the car it was parked and a man reversed into it the drivers door had to be replaced do you this this may have contributed to the water build up? Also advice with regards to the dealer he gave me a 3 month warranty which is now up do I have any hope that they will fix the issue? When i first test drove the car the sunroof would not open it was stuck and he said he would fix the issue which he did but do you think that may be whats contributing to my problems? Cant anyone help please
Hello there,
I had similar problem with my Megane II (2006year model, no sunroof). I found the two drain ports under the scuttle blocked with dirt and leaves. I had to remove the scuttle panel, (to remove the scuttle panel the wipers should comeoff). Now you should find two drain ports , one on left and one on right side. I cleaned those, but the problem was still going. Then I found this article
The leak I had was actually coming from water accumulated due to the condensation around the A/C evaporator under the dashboard. I use Air conditioning all the time (living in a desert) Follow the link and you will know. since it was difficult to remove the drain pan under the dash, i had to come up with alternate solution. i used warm water, syringe and tube to suck, and blow the drain port in rapid succession (quite a number of times untill the dirt is disturbed and went thru. if successful, you will see water dripping under the car just above the exhaust pipe). And to isolate if water is accumulated under the dash, just like my case, you can remove the AC filter and you will find it wet.
In your case you have a sunroof, so i suggest you search on youtube "megane water in footwell". i know that there is one video showing a guy removing the blockage from his sunroof drain system.

After you have fixed your drain system, you will need to remove (or part a little) the carpets and suck the foam under the carpet. you will be amazed how much water there is in there.

Hope this helps you a bit. Enjoy
Currently in samuely55's garage:
2006 Renault Megane II, 1.6, 16v Petrol, Automatic hatchback
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome