Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Squealing alternator belt?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 15th June 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks a lot lagdti, i'll definitely get it looked at then, although guess it'll be Monday or Tuesday at the earliest now. Until then i'll just drive around in a paranoid state with images of my engine exploding on me (yes i'm very paranoid cos the car is a new purchase and i'll never ever have that much money to blow on a car again!).

Re the cambelt issue i was aware of this and am actually in a bit of a predicament. the car has done just over 84000 miles so should have had the cambelt done.according to the service book it was serviced at 84000 miles (the 72000 mile service but very overdue).in theory the cambelt should have been done then.however i don't have the invoice and the service book has no details, just stamped and no computer record as it wasn't a main dealer.i phoned the garage who did that service but they have no computer records either and tried to see if they could remember but no joy. on the encouraging side, when i told him the model he immediately checked and said it should have been done at 72000 miles, leading me to thin kthey're aware of dealer service plans and so PROBABLY would have done it.

But it's the probably that's the i assume it was done and take the chance?or get an expensive job done that may well have been done less then 1000miles ago?i did consider waiting to get the logbook through and writing to the former owner and asking but i'm scared of the wait if it actually hadn't been done.also could the aux belt being changed at the service have anything to do with this squeal (ie if it was tightened too much or something??)i don't suppose a garage would be able to tell if the cambelt had been done..i'm pretty sure the answer's no on that one!

sorry for that long long post!
Currently in ribbon's garage:
Renault Clio Expression 2002 1.5DCI (65bhp)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome