Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace - ICE AUX input

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 16th June 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Our family car is the same Grand Espace as yours with the radio unit embedded in one of the boot space side panels. Back in early 2004 when we purchased the car, I too was pressuring Renault as to how the AUX INPUT could be utilised. We'd had the optional DVD Player fitted and would have preferred to be able to to let the kids hear the movie through the speakers, as the IR headphones can become uncomfortable after a time.

Several attempts through dealers proved fruitless, so I wrote to Renault UK explaining that the AUX feature described on their website and in the Radio's manual for auxillary audio from an optional video source to the main speakers didn't work and didn't seem accessible.

Someone from Renault UK eventually rang me to explain that this feature was never implemented. "But it's in your documentation and your advertising"' I said. "And I was kind of wanting that option".

"Well, you can't do it.", the man said. Well, I got frustrated and he got shirty. "Why on earth would you want to do that?", he said. "Because the kids don't like the headphones." I said. "Well, mine cope just fine." he said. "And besides, it would be a dangerous distraction for the driver."

"And switching on headphones, handing them out, replacing batteries and retuning the IR frequency on them once the kids man-handle them ISN'T??", I said.

Anyway, I got nowhere and had to just swallow their false advertising, misleading documentation and, quite frankly, discourteous attitude. But every now and again I get the urge to see what information is out there and I found a few postings on this forum. Your post is a year old, but it appears you still visit the forums so I thought I'd see if you found out any more information on this topic.

You mentioned soldering onto the PCB which goes someway to explaining how Renault didn't implement the feature, although the radio system clearing believes that an AUX INPUT is possible.

Any information gratefully received,

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome