Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

View Single Post
post #51 of (permalink) Old 16th November 2014
Diamond member
mah14681's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 352
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Thanks: 22
Thanked 63 Times in 61 Posts
Cool Re: Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

Well, got to work on it. Had to cut another bolt from the intake manifold. Those torx bolts are rubbish. Since the last time I took them off I had to drive a hex socket on, so I just did that again and replaced with hex bolts.

Looking round for my T8 socket... couldn't find it, so left the sump on in the end. Wife and I weren't in best of moods, so I didn't do as much as I wanted however: whoever said it was the oil pressure switch cable was right. My wrong - with the tube surrounding the cable and the clip at the switch end I was convinced it was a vacuum hose. Anyway, took out the pressure switch and gave it a good clean. The pin-hole was caked in gunk which came out after copious amounts of maintenance spray.

I think I found the oil leak too - the gasket for the ECU on the intake seemed to be letting a small amount of oil vapour out right on to the exhaust manifold below. Used some liquid gasket and the original gasket to reseal this. So far so good. The throttle body looked alright but cleaned it again anyway, along with it's connections. Looked like there was a lot more hidden crud than I thought there would be. The intake and air filter were reasonably clean and dry, no pools of oil . Attempted to get the plastic part off, but broke a tool on the first clip. Probably nothing can be done with it anyway so left it alone in the end.

I loosened the exhaust tappets slightly, that was probably a mistake as I can just hear them rattling now. Nevermind, when I get some more bolts for the intake and a little more patience I'll get them done back up to 0.25mm from 0.28mm. Anyway, at least I know they're unlikely to burn.

After the flush, the oil that came out was pitch black, looking pretty bad for only 800 miles. At least it's done its job after running dry. If only the oil pressure switch was connected, that may not have gotten that bad.

Replaced the CTS, the old one was rusty. The crank sensor didn't need anything done.

It's running more smoothly now, but the EGR valve is clicking away frantically after turning off the ingnition - another thing I didn't get done along with reading and clearing codes, which I might do later this evening. At least it's not struggling pulling only using the clutch as control, or threatening to stall every time I take my foot off the throttle.

All in all, some bits worked, some bits broke, some bits were missed but, it's a little healthier than it was before.

A little more to be done, so I'll keep posting on this but, the throttle body clean, CTS and oil leak fix I think have cured the majority of the problems.

Currently in mah14681's garage:
2001 Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.2 16v Sport, 2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 LX (95)
mah14681 is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome