Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane Engine overheating

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 17th June 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

This thread has been dead for a while, but I might as well list my experiences since they seem relevent and might be helpful to someone.

1996 Renault Megane RT 1.4

The first thing I noticed was a wisp of steam from under the bonnet on the way to work. This got worse until I pulled over, opened her up and saw steam pumping out from the rear left of the engine space. The AA man came and found that one of the coolant tubes had sprung a leak near where it was connected to the main engine. He chopped an inch off and re-attached it. This fixed the immediate problem, but it turned out the thing had only sprunk the leak because the coolant had overheated and pressure had built up, but this only became clear a few days later. Over the next few days, I kept seeing the water level drop, and I had to top it up several times. Then one day, more steam and overheating and the fan wasn't working (due to lack of water). This time, the AA man spotted that the pump itself was leaking- we poured a litre of water in one end, and watched it trickle out.

A new pump was required, and since fortunately my car was due a new timing belt anyway, this was replaced too. Damage : £228 inc.
Currently in Tommy_g003's garage:
1996 Mégane 1.4

Last edited by Tommy_g003; 17th June 2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Typo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome