Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #726 of (permalink) Old 19th June 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi All, I purchased my RenaultSport Clio 182 from the Renault Main Dealer in Bristol 3 weeks ago (May 29th). It is a 2004 model, and really is in stunning condition. I didn't even think about the Watchdog report at the time of buying this car (I couldn't even remember whether it was specifically the Clio that was effected).

Anyway, I read a lot of this thread yesterday and went out to check my bonnet catch earlier - I should note that the bonnet opens and shuts perfectly with no trouble at all, and hasn't given me any cause for concern over the last few weeks.

So imagine my surprise when I checked and saw a nice clean engine bay apart from a terribly rusty bonnet catch - it looks totally out of place considering the nice condition of the rest of the bay! I'm also concerned about the plastic lever not being very sturdy (which I believe they have now changed on later models to a metal version from what others have said).

I phoned Renault straight afterwards to say I was concerned (I have never received a letter or any correspondance warning me to have it checked). I have booked it in for next week, so will be interested to see what they say.

I hope that they will replace the entire catch assembly just for my piece of mind - I'm especially concerned as it's a pretty fast car and I imagine the extra acceleration this model has over smaller engined models can only add to the strain put on the bonnet catch.

I took lots of photos anyway! (the last photo shows the bonnet closed perfectly with no indication of the catch not doing its job).

Currently in hexen's garage:
2004 RenaultSport Clio 182
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome