Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What stereo do you have in your LagII

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 25th June 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Option 7 (though call me picky, but that sat-nav screen looks like it's from the old CD Carminat rather than the new DVD one.)

It's neat having the built-in MP3 changer, but there's a lot of things I'd have done differently if I'd been designing the system. It can also be pretty flakey, and I've lost count of the number of times it has crashed. I've become quite adept at pulling out and re-inserting the 20 amp fuse under the ashtray while driving (though don't tell PC Plod I said that )

Things I'd really liked to have seen on this unit:
1) Gapless playback. How tricky is that on an MP3 player these days? It's particularly annoying on albums where the tracks run directly into each other, and so the producer has had to pick fairly arbitrary track starting points.
2) The ability to browse your currently loaded CDs or even the current folder without changing tracks. Sometimes I'm listening to something but fancy a change. But I don't want silence (or worse still, repeatedly starting new albums) while I'm looking for what I want.
3) The ability to view what's on a disc without actually having to mechanically load it. Have they heard of cache memory? As long as a disc has been loaded at least once, I should be able to browse at least the directory structure without having to physically select it and wait for the changer to do its thing.
4) Better integrated ID3 display. It'd have been nice to have the current ID3 details shown on the 'Main' screen (distance and turn icons only) of the sat-nav. There's plenty of room for that information on there.
5) Better integration with the sat-nav in general, though it has to be said that it's come on in leaps and bounds since the Phase I's Carminat, where different functions used to fight each other for screen space, with the one you really wanted invariably losing.
6) The ability to have the sat-nav working while you have a call connecting on the mobile. Once your call is in progress, you can go back to the map screen, but while the call is ringing out, the sat-nav is basically useless.
7) Return to the screen you were last on after a phone call. Sometimes I like to leave it on the GPS screen (don't ask me why) but if I get a call, it'll revert to the main navigation map afterwards.
8) Above all - iPod (or other MP3) connectivity. The fact that it has a built-in disc based MP3 changer does not mean they should preclude the use of a dedicated (and often superior) MP3 player.

Believe it or not, in spite of all of the above, I love the system. Sound's not bad (I think the Privilege and Initiale get uprated speakers) and I've never been a true audiphile anyway. I expect my ICE to provide me with audio entertainment while I'm driving. I'm not bothered about it blowing my mind with excellent reproductive quality, as long as I can tap my feet to the tunes.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome