Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 27th June 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by fireball scenic View Post

You couldn't be closer to the mark if you tried, our youngest son had fallen asleep at the end of our journey last week and my wife left him in the car to sleep for a few minutes, waking him up and taking him in. 1 hour later she returned to the car to get something and the car was on fire - we are both deeply shocked about the whole incident and can't believe that if Renault UK are aware of this issue, they haven't done a recall. This is what I am pushing them for.

With a little peer pressure I am sure we can win this. I don't know which years are affected but to clarify ours was a W plate 2000 Scenic Sport Alize with 68,000 miles on the clock. The car has never had any modifications done to the electrical system and the fire brigade are sure that the door mirror switch and associated wiring was the cause of the fire. I found a 2000 Scenic on Ebay with identical fire damage to ours again caused by the door mirror controls.

These cars are owned by loads of families and I wonder how many others leave their kids in the car, blissfully unaware of the risks. This needs top billing and I have also contacted BBC's Watchdog programme to advise them of the issue.

Thanks for sending out emails to everyone, I am glad you are all taking this seriously!

Hope we get this sorted - Cheers Dave

Am so glad that your little one is safe, It would be awful for anyone to have a fatality, with this problem.

(me thinks I'll have to check on the insurance, just to beon the safe side) Am fully comp, but i don't suppose that means anything these days.
Currently in darksecretz's garage:
Scenic I 1.6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome