Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic electronic handbrake failed after pad change

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th December 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Scenic electronic handbrake failed after pad change

Evening guys

Our 2004 scenic was in for its MOT repairs and along with a front wishbone it needed a set of pads on the rear, unfortunately the fitting of the rear pads seems to have knackered the hand brake mechanism.

The garage is claiming that the near side rear brake was jamming already (which was one of the MOT failure points) and although they thought it was the caliper, when they replaced the pads the caliper was fine and they are saying that the unit must have already been faulty (probably cable?).

I was pretty annoyed by this as to me the handbrake was working fine before arriving at the garage and now we have no handbrake and the day is lit up better than our christmas tree. The garage are now quoting for a new unit + fitting.

Is there anything worth trying before looking at a new unit? I've done a search and found the thread about resetting the unit but that hasn't done anything.

The other option is maybe a second hand unit as a couple of posters have stated that if it's from the same model etc they fit on without any programming. Is this correct?

Also, can i remove the whole unit (and cables) and the car remain mobile or will that cause other issues?

A new unit + fitting is about what the car's worth so i can't see us doing that....
Currently in niallmoran's garage:
2004 Scenic 1.6 VVT 2002 2004 Scenic 1.9 DCi Alfa Romeo 156
  5 Lastest Threads by niallmoran
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
DTC codes - glow plugs? Engines mickeybo 10 1443 21st February 2015 12:46 PM
Scenic II Electronic Brake Fault Codes Brakes/Hubs greavey 9 1554 7th February 2015 07:35 PM
Scenic electronic handbrake failed after pad... Brakes/Hubs Leximaisy 43 9334 15th December 2014 08:53 PM
Air con very poor Heating & cooling torque777 21 4270 4th June 2012 11:12 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome